Most Frequently Asked Questions | Canada Mission

1st question: Who is STERNA?

Response: STERNA is a subsidiary of a Canadian company established in 2007 located in the province of Quebec.

2nd question: Is there any fees for registration?

Response: None, STERNA deals directly with the Canadian companies to ensure a free service to its candidates.

3rd question: Of what expenses should the candidate be responsible?

Response: Expenses related to the passport process.
In case of being a Candidate selected by a company, the expenses would be related to the journey to the place of the interviews if the mission develops the candidate's country. In case of being a contracted Candidate, the expenses will be related to the "Electronic Travel Authorization" (ETA) to enter Canada.

4th question: If I don’t have a passport can I apply?

Response: Of course. However, it is necessary to begin immediately with the process of obtaining the passport once you have made your registration and have received an email with the requirements. To attend a Canada Mission, you will need to bring your passport.

5th question: If I have less than 2 years of work experience, can I participate in the STERNA program?

Response: No.

6th question: If I only speak Spanish, can I apply?

Response: Of course. Companies in Canada are particularly interested in the technical skills of the candidates. In addition, they usually offer a program of Frenchization during the hiring period. It is often the case that the company hires several candidates during the Canada Mission and tries to place on the same schedule those who have an English base with those who only speak Spanish so they can be interpreters and there is an understanding from both sides. In addition, STERNA offers free French classes, 2 hours per week.

7th question: If I do not have a secondary education (average), can I apply?

Response: Sometimes, the government of Canada can accept a candidate who did not complete secondary education (middle) when it applies to positions of high demand (for example: Welder) and has a good level of work experience. Generally, secondary education is the minimum academic level required. You can cumulate the secondary (middle) with technical courses so that the sum of the years of study is equivalent to the high school.

8th question: If I have finished my studies and my diploma has not yet been issued, what should I do?

Response: Start the process as soon as possible to obtain a diploma | original and official title of the highest Concluded Academic Study.

9th question: If I have any of the following situations, can I apply?

  • Criminal records in my country or in a foreign country.
  • Live or have lived irregularly (no according to the laws) in a foreign country.
  • Having been rejected by a foreign country upon entry.

Response: No.

10th question: What documents will I have to present after the Canada Mission?

Response: A complete list of documents will be given on the day of the Canada Mission. Among them, the title with the highest academic level in relation to the position obtained. You must send some photos or scanned copies of your documents to STERNA for official translation into French or English, if necessary.

11th question: Will I have to provide “work certificates”?

Response: The government of Quebec requests that the candidate provides "certificates or attestations of work" for positions related to the main task of the "meeting request". It is recommended that the following information be included:

  1. Name and address of the company
  2. Name of the employer
  3. Landline telephone number of the company and employer
  4. Issue date of the "work certificate".
  5. Start date and date of termination of employment
  6. Name of the work position
  7. Descripción de tareas y responsabilidades.
  8. Number of hours worked per week, on average
  9. Full name of the employee
The duration of the position stipulated in the work certificate must coincide with the work experience of the profile.

In addition, the receipt of payment for the last position is a useful document because it is often requested by the administration of the province of Canada.

12th question: What do I need to attend a virtual Canada Mission?

Response: You need to be in a quiet environment, have access to a desktop or laptop computer, a fast Internet connection, access to your email, a microphone, a computer mouse, a keyboard and a webcam.

13th question: What are my chances of being hired at the Industrial Canada Mission?

Response: After acceptance of the "meeting request", the chances of being elected are 50%. The candidate may participate in several missions until they hire him.

14th question: How much will I earn in annual salary?

Response: This will depend on the "meeting request" formulated by each of the companies in Canada. It is important to keep in mind that Canadian companies must be consistent and offer the same wages and working conditions as any worker in the same company.

15th question: Is the hourly rate and annual salary gross or net of taxes?

Response: The hourly rate and the annual salary are both gross.

16th question: How many hours a week will I work?

Response: The normal work week is 40 hours.

17th question: If I am elected, who will pay for my plane ticket?

Response: The company that hired you must pay the flight ticket.

18th question: Where will I live?

Response: The Canadian company that carries out immigration procedures must find accommodation for the new employee and will often be a co-signer. The costs of housing can be deducted in part or in full from the worker's salary.

19th question: Should I have a vehicle to transport me?

Response: If the accommodation is less than 2 km from the company's facilities in Canada, it is not necessary. If the distance is greater than 2 km, the company will have to take care of its transportation.

20th question: How long will my work permit last?

Response: Normally between 1 and 3 years with the possibility of renewing a contract.

21st question: Will there be a trial period?

Response: Yes, the trial period will be 3 months.

22nd question: Could I apply for a residence if I want to stay in Canada?

Response: Definitely, if you meet certain admission criteria. For more information, consult or contact an immigration consultant recognized by Canada.

23rd question: Can my family come to live with me?

Response: Yes, you can take your family after the 3-month trial period. All expenses related to your family will be on your own.

24th question: Is it possible for my partner to work in Canada?

Response: It is possible that an open work permit is granted for the couple, depending on the classification of the position. For more information, consult an immigration agent.

25th question: Will my children be able to study in Canada?

Response: Yes.

26th question: Would you be entitled to health insurance when you arrive in Canada?

Response: It is the responsibility of the Canadian company to provide private health insurance during the first 3 months when the new employee arrives in Canada. Subsequently, the worker will embark on the health insurance plan of the Government of Canada.

27th question: Will I need to sign a Sworn Declaration before signing a contract with the Canadian company?

Response: Yes.

28th question: After signing a contract with a Canadian company, what are my commitments?

Response: The commitments are given to STERNA all the documentation request for the Visa process. When mi Visa is approved I must travel to Canada and work for the company as a minimum the first year complying with the guidelines of the employment contract.